The Register Of Persons Holding A Controlled Interest In Land

Published date15 April 2022
Subject MatterReal Estate and Construction, Real Estate, Landlord & Tenant - Leases
Law FirmShepherd and Wedderburn LLP
AuthorMr Hamish Lean

It has long been a concern in Scotland that there is a lack of transparency about the ownership of land. The Register of Persons Holding a Controlled Interest in Land (RCI) is a new register intended to improve transparency of ownership and overall control of land and buildings in Scotland. The register became operational on 1 April 2022.

Despite the connection to land, it is not a property register: it is to be a register of persons - in particular persons who, while not holding title to the land, actually influence or control decision making about the use, management or development of that land. 'Land' for this purpose includes buildings and other structures, land covered with water and the seabed. Tenants under long leases of land can be affected as well. Not all owners or tenants of land will be required to register and there are a number of exemptions.

Does the RCI apply to me?

The regulations establishing the new register impose duties on owners to register details about persons who may exercise control or influence over them in the RCI. Failure to comply is a criminal offence and could incur significant financial penalties of up to '5,000. The RCI seeks information about associates of recorded persons (a recorded person is the owner of the land) who are individuals, partnerships, trusts, unincorporated bodies or overseas entities. Not every recorded person will have an associate, in which case there is no duty to register in the RCI.

An associate may be a person holding a position as partner or trustee, or someone else who has the right to exercise or actually exercises significant interest or control over the recorded person's dealings with the land. There is no detailed definition of what is meant by 'significant influence' or 'control' and it will often be necessary to assess particular circumstances on a case-by-case basis. However, in general, 'control' refers to a situation where a person can direct the activities of another and 'significant influence' is likely to apply where a person is able to ensure that another person will typically adopt their desired approach.

What details must I submit under the RCI?

Under the regulations...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT