What If'I Am In An Accident In A Hired Motorhome?

Published date21 July 2021
Subject MatterLitigation, Mediation & Arbitration, Transport, Coronavirus (COVID-19), Rail, Road & Cycling, Sovereign Immunity: Public Sector Government, Personal Injury, Operational Impacts and Strategy
Law FirmDigby Brown
AuthorDigby Brown Solicitors

The COVID-19 pandemic has seen an increase in staycations and this means many people are making use of caravans, campervans and motorhomes for their holidays.

But what if you're injured in a road traffic accident with a motorhome? What happens if you're the one driving the motorhome? And what happens if you're the person struck by a motorhome?

Here we aim to offer advice on your rights and obligations and explain the legal process so you know what to do and what to expect if you're affected by such an accident.

Can I make a claim if I hired the vehicle?

If you hired a motorhome and become involved in an accident that left you injured as a result of someone else's negligence then you may be entitled to make a personal injury claim.

This will still apply if you are rented or hired the motorhome or campervan. The only difference is there may be some additional steps to follow or criteria to meet to help you recover rightful damages.

A personal injury claim is designed to put you back into the position you would have been in, had the accident not happened.

This means we will work with leading experts to fully investigate the circumstances of your accident and fully analyse the immediate and long-term impact of your injuries.

Full details of what people can claim for can be found on our road traffic accident advice page but a claim most frequently helps people recover losses like:

  • Your injuries
  • Lost earnings (if your injury prevented you from working)
  • Ongoing or additional medical treatment costs.

What can I claim for?

However in addition to recovering compensation for physical injuries there are other losses Digby Brown can help you recover that you may not have realised.

This might include things like excess payments made to the insurance or hire companies for the motorhome or campervans - some of which can be as high as '2,000.

As a motorhome is essentially a living space on the move it is likely you may have more personal luxuries with you than you'd normally have in a car - if these valuable items are damaged in a crash then we can help you recover the cost of these as part of your claim. It is therefore important at you keep a record of any property that is lost or damaged.

If the accident meant your trip was cut short then it's even possible for us to recover compensation for the loss of enjoyment of your holiday.

Additionally, if the crash meant your motorhome or campervan was left useless and forced you to seek alternative travel and accommodation...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT